Look to this day!
For it is life, the very life of life.
For yesterday is but a dream.
And tomorrow is only a vision.
But today well lived makes
every yesterday a dream of happiness
and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Look well, therefore, to this day!
Such is the salutation of the dawn.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Act or React...



Was it yesterday? Or the day before? I guess it doesn't really matter. What does is my mind, was the reaction to a video. It, the video, showed a man holding a door for a woman carrying grocery bags. She doesn't acknowledge his act of courtesy. So, what does he do? He, the gentleman that he is, grabs her by the arm, pulls her back thru the door, shuts the door and walks away smiling. The thing so confusing to me was how many seemed to cheer the man on. Don't get me wrong. Gratitude is important. But if a person does something simply to be recognized and praised, then that is all he will gain from the act. 

I'd wager most people don't see this life as the end of their existence. And I'm probably going to get some flak on that. If that offends you, stop reading. I believe life is eternal. Life doesn't end here. Eternal - and yes, even this part of life seems that way at times. Seconds can last so long, though days pass so quickly. But it's in the seconds, in the momentary exchanges, that life takes place. So to make this personal, that's my life and yours. And my life matters. It matters in the sense that what I do with it in those momentary exchanges is deterministic. Not as a theory might suggest, that acts of the will, occurrences in nature, or social or psychological phenomena are causally predetermined by something external to them or myself. Rather, what I do will determine the outcome of my life in an eternal sense. I, what I do, or my life, may not have an immediate effect in the world as a whole, however, it will affect me and those with whom I interact directly and, much more importantly, upon the eternal direction of my life. 

So, if someone doesn't express gratitude. That's on them. Your reaction is on you. I'm still learning. Hope you are too.

No comments:

Hewlett Packard Coupon
Hewlett Packard Coupon